Legislative changes in the Social Security Act allow for coverage of acupuncture services under MA plans when specific clinical and professional criteria are met. More information can be found here.
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina (Blue Cross NC) does not credential or contract with acupuncture providers, however, we are asking our participating MA providers to self-report their ability to offer acupuncture services. This will enable us to display on our Find a Doctor portal those participating providers that offer acupuncture services.
If your practice offers acupuncture services or has discontinued these services, please provide practice information and respond to the questions below via email at AcupunctureServiceOfferingMA@bcbsnc.com.
- Group Practice/Provider Name
- Type 1 or 2 NPI (Billing NPI)
- Contact Name and Email
Questions for Providers
- Do you have MDs in your practice who perform acupuncture?
- Do you have Physician Assistants, Nurse Practitioners/Clinical Nurse Specialists who perform acupuncture?
- Do you have auxiliary personnel such as Acupuncturists or Physical Therapists who perform acupuncture?
- If yes to either question (2-3), please confirm if service provider has (1) A masters or doctoral level degree in acupuncture or Oriental Medicine from a school accredited by the Accreditation Commission on Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine (ACAOM); (2) and a current, full, active, and unrestricted license to practice acupuncture in a State, Territory, or Commonwealth (i.e. Puerto Rico) of the United States, or District of Columbia.
- If yes to question 3, do your auxiliary personnel operate under direct supervision?