Looking for an eye doctor near you?
I have Blue 20/20
Use the Eye Doc Locator from Eye Med Vision Care to search for an eye care professional in your Blue 20/20℠ plan.
I have another Blue Cross NC plan
Use our Find Care tool to find an in-network eye doctor near you.
Why are vision exams important?
Going to the eye doctor can help more than just your eyes.
Comprehensive eye exams can help catch early signs of conditions including:1
- Brain tumors
- Heart disease
- High blood pressure
- High cholesterol
- Macular degeneration
Take control of your health by taking advantage of your vision benefits to protect against disease.
How to use your plan benefits
Every plan is different. Log in to the Blue Connect℠ member portal to see your Benefits Booklet.
Your plan may offer exclusive savings and discounts on:
- Prescription eyeglasses, sunglasses and readers
- Conventional, disposable and medically necessary contact lenses
- Retinal imaging to detect changes and disease
- LASIK vision correction
You can save more when you visit an in-network doctor or specialist. Use the Find Care search tool in your Blue Connect member portal to locate one in your area and when you travel.
Our Blue 20/20℠ plans
From affordability to copays to discounts, you can compare the details of these vision plans to be sure you have the coverage you want and need:
Blue 20/20 Exam Plan
This affordable plan offers a routine eye exam and a 35% discount on complete pairs of prescription eyeglasses from in-network retailers.
Blue 20/20 Exam Plus Plan
This comprehensive plan includes a routine eye exam, an allowance for frames and your choice of lenses or contact lenses for a slightly higher monthly premium.
Frequently asked questions
Choose an in-network eye doctor from our Find Care tool. Schedule your visit for a routine eye exam. Go in for your appointment and show your member ID card.
We have an easy-to-use Find Care tool that lets you search for an in-network eye doctor. You can choose an eye doctor nearest you or who offers the services you want. You can also check to see if your current eye doctor is in our provider network.
Your provider's office will submit claims for you when you visit an in-network eye doctor. But if you go to an out-of-network eye doctor, you'll be responsible for filing your own claims and may have to pay a higher fee for services.
Yes. You can use your insurance information at many online eye care centers. You can shop at:
- Target Optical
You can see a full list of network providers once you become a Blue Connect℠ member.
Limitations and exclusions
This is a partial list of services that are not covered by Blue 20/20 for Individuals. Refer to the member benefit booklet for a full list of exclusions.
- Lost or broken lenses, frames, glasses or contact lenses
- Non-prescription lenses, contact lenses or sunglasses
- Two pairs of eyeglasses in place of bifocals
- Medical and/or surgical treatment of the eye, eyes or supporting structures
- Vision training, orthoptic services, aniseikonic lenses, subnormal vision aids or any associated supplemental testing Services required by any governmental agency or program, or as a result of any workers’ compensation law or similar legislation
- Any eye or vision examination or corrective eyewear ordered by a member’s employer, including safety eyewear
- Services or materials provided by any other group benefit plan providing vision care
- Services rendered after the last date of coverage, unless materials are ordered before the end of coverage and services are rendered within 31 days of the order
- Benefit allowances provide no remaining balance for future use within the same benefit frequency
For costs and further details of the coverage, including exclusions and reductions or limitations and terms under which the policy may be continued in force, see your benefit administrator.
You may be entitled to additional discounts. Check your provider listing for more information.
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age or disability in its health programs and activities. Learn more about our non-discrimination policy and no-cost services available to you.
© 2024 Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina. ®, SM Marks of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association, an association of independent Blue Cross and Blue Shield plans. All other marks and names are property of their respective owners. Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina is an independent licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association.