March 25, 2021 Update: This communication has been updated to include links to the YMCA Medical Membership program flyer and provider FAQ document.
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina (Blue Cross NC) is dedicated to bringing healthy outcomes to members and as a result has established a three-year partnership with the YMCA of the Triangle to provide discounted medical memberships to qualifying Blue Cross NC members with a doctor’s referral. Effective May 2019 through April 2022, providers can refer Blue Cross NC members for a low-cost medical membership to the YMCA, including tailored health classes, a personal health coach, and access to the facilities. More details can be found in the YMCA Medical Membership flyer and Provider FAQ document.
Beginning the week of March 22, Blue Cross NC will launch an email campaign targeting eligible members and their dependents about this medical membership opportunity.
Actions for Providers
YMCA medical memberships require a patient self-referral or a doctor/provider referral form to be completed. If you have patients that would benefit from this membership, please advise your patients to download a referral form.
Once you have signed their form, they will have:
- Access to a YMCA care team made of public health professionals and/or certified staff
- A direct pathway to YMCA evidence-based programs
- Access to YMCA memberships, services and facilities
- This program is only available at YMCA of the Triangle locations, which include Wake, Durham, Johnston, Lee, Orange, and Chatham counties.
- A YMCA medical membership offers patients the chance to improve their health and reduce health care costs through access to programs and facilities that support specific health concerns.
- Qualifying patients will be eligible for access to YMCA facilities for just $25 a month.
- Eligibility for the medical membership is determined by the provider.
- Members also have access to virtual services to resume physical activity in whatever way feels most comfortable.
- Members can visit BlueCrossNC.com/YMCA for the latest information on the YMCA’s safety precautions and virtual offerings.
Specific Health Concerns for Patients
A medical membership may be beneficial to patients with the following health concerns:
- Overweight patients who may need help creating better nutrition and physical activity habits for themselves and their families
- Cancer survivors in need of help rebuilding muscle mass and strength
- Pre-diabetic patients needing support with nutrition and ways to increase activity level to avoid diabetes
- Prone to falls and in need of guidance for improving balance so falls during everyday activities can be avoided
- High-blood pressure program for diagnosed patients to teach them how to monitor, track, increase physical activity, and heart-healthy eating
For more information, please visit BlueCrossNC.com/Provider-YMCA or call 919-582-9396.