Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina (Blue Cross NC) is continuing to closely monitor and re-evaluate policies during the COVID-19 pandemic to best serve our customers and communities. Blue Cross NC has extended waiving member cost-sharing (copays, deductibles and coinsurance) through June 30, 2021, for COVID-19-related treatment that is medically necessary and consistent with guidance from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
In early February, we announced that the following treatment cost waiver would end, effective March 31, 2021, for most Blue Cross NC customers. However, we are extending this measure through June 30, 2021:
- Waiving Cost-Sharing for COVID-19 Treatment: Blue Cross NC will continue waiving member cost-sharing (copays, deductibles and coinsurance) through June 30, 2021, for COVID-19-related treatment that is medically necessary and consistent with guidance from the CDC.
- This measure applies to all fully-insured Blue Cross NC commercial plans (individual and group plans), the State Health Plan, the Federal Employee Program, Medicare Supplemental plans, and Medicare Advantage plans offered or administered by Blue Cross NC, including Experience Health.
- Self-funded employer groups have the option to apply this extension to their employees' plans. We will work quickly with groups interested in extending this benefit provision.
Members should contact the Blue plan listed on their ID card for information about their COVID-19 benefits.
Why We’re Extending This Measure
- New COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations have recently increased in North Carolina and nationally, after weeks of declines.
- Although vaccination rates are rising, more-contagious variants of the virus are spreading, meaning many Americans are still vulnerable.
We will continue to closely monitor the situation and take further action, as needed, based on health care trends that affect our members.