Please note, this communication applies to Healthy Blue + Medicare℠ (HMO D-SNP) offered by Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina.
We have enhanced your ability to search, review, and download a copy of the remittance advice on Availity when there is not an associated payment. For remit advice with payment, you can continue to search with the Check/EFT number.
What has changed?
1. Non-payment number display in the Check Number and Check/EFT Number fields:
- Old — There were two sets of numbers for the same remittance advice. The paper remittance displayed 10 bytes (9999999999 or 99########) and the corresponding 835 (ERA) displayed 27 bytes (9999999999 — [year] #############).
- Enhancement — The updated numbering sequence for the paper remittance and corresponding 835 (ERA) now contain the same 10-digit number beginning with 9 (9XXXXXXXXX). Each non-payment remittance issued will be assigned a unique number.
2. Searching for non-payment remittance:
- Old — When using Remit Inquiry to locate paper remittance, the search field required a date range and tax ID to locate a specific remittance due to same number scenario (10 bytes (9999999999) being used for every non-payment remittance.
- Enhancement — Once the unique ERA non-payment remittance number is available, it can be entered in the check number field in Remit Inquiry. This new way of assigning check numbers provides a faster and simplified process to find the specific remittance.
The way your organization receives remittances and payments has not changed; we have simply enhanced the numbering for the non-pay remittances. These changes do not impact previously issued non-payment remittance advice.
Note: Availity, LLC is an independent company providing administrative support services for Healthy Blue + Medicare providers on behalf of Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina.
Access more provider information, forms, policies and resources for our Healthy Blue + Medicare plan.
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age or disability in its health programs and activities. Learn more about our non-discrimination policy and no-cost services available to you.
© 2023 Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina. ®, SM Marks of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association, an association of independent Blue Cross and Blue Shield plans. All other marks and names are property of their respective owners. Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina is an independent licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association.