Triple Chocolate Brownie Bites
Dip brownies in chocolate for a decadently easy, low-calorie, heart healthy and diabetes-friendly way to treat your Valentine.
Cook time: 45 minutes
Total time: 3 hours 50 minutes
Makes 64 brownie bites
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅔ cup confectioners’ sugar
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3 ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate (50–72% cacao), coarsely chopped
- 1½ tablespoons canola oil
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1½ tablespoons light corn syrup, blended with 3 tablespoons lukewarm water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- ⅛ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 2½ ounces semisweet or bittersweet chocolate (50–72% cacao), chopped into mini chunks
- 1 cup semisweet or bittersweet chocolate chips
- Position rack in center of oven; preheat to 350°F. Line an 8-inch-square baking pan with foil, letting it overhang on two opposing sides. Coat with cooking spray.
- Sift flour, confectioners' sugar and cocoa together into a small bowl.
- Combine the 3 ounces coarsely chopped chocolate and oil in a heavy medium saucepan; place over the lowest heat, stirring until just melted and smooth, being very careful the chocolate does not overheat. Remove from the heat and stir in granulated sugar, corn syrup mixture, vanilla and salt until the sugar dissolves. Vigorously stir in egg until smoothly incorporated. Gently stir in the dry ingredients. Fold in the 2½ ounces of chocolate chunks just until well blended. Turn out the batter into the pan, spreading evenly.
- Bake 20–24 minutes, until the brownies are almost firm in the center and a toothpick inserted comes out with some moist batter clinging to it. Let cool completely on a wire rack, about 2½ hours.
- Place chocolate chips in a microwave-safe bowl. Microwave on medium for 1 minute. Stir, then continue microwaving on medium, stirring every 20 seconds, until melted.
- Using the overhanging foil as handles, carefully lift the brownie slab from the pan. Peel the foil from the bottom; set the slab right-side up on a cutting board. Using a large, sharp knife, trim off any dry edges. Mark and then cut into 1-inch squares. Wipe the blade with a damp cloth between cuts.
Dip half of each brownie square in melted chocolate, then place on a baking sheet lined with parchment or wax paper. (Reheat chocolate, as needed, to keep it melted.) Refrigerate until the chocolate is set, about 30 minutes. Store airtight in the refrigerator for up to 1 week.