Slow-Cooker Moroccan Lentil Soup
Want a bit of spice to go with your warming winter soup? This one’s for you, and it’s easy. Just place all the ingredients including lentils, carrots and five different spices into your slow cooker, and in a few hours, it’s soup!
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 5 hours 30 minutes
- 1¾ cups lentils
- 3 cups chopped cauliflower
- 2 cups chopped carrots
- 2 cups chopped onions
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- ¼ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1 28-ounce can low-sodium diced tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 6 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 cups water
- 4 cups chopped fresh spinach or one 10-ounce package frozen chopped spinach, thawed
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Combine lentils, cauliflower, carrots, onions, garlic, cumin, coriander, turmeric, cinnamon, pepper, tomatoes, tomato paste, oil, broth and water in a 5- to 6-quart slow cooker.
- Cover and cook until the lentils are tender, 4–5 hours on high or 8–10 hours on low.
- During the last 10 minutes of cooking, stir in spinach.
- Just before serving, stir in cilantro and lemon juice.