Quick Grown-up Mac & Cheese
What if Mac & Cheese took on a caramel and nutty taste? That’s what you get with this delicious mac & cheese for grown-ups, using the unexpected ingredient butternut squash, along with sharp and sweet Gouda cheese. Makes you wish for cold weather!
Cook time: 25 minutes
Total time: 25 minutes
- 8 ounces whole-wheat elbow noodles
- 2 cups diced peeled butternut squash ( ½-inch)
- 1¾ cups reduced-fat milk, divided
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 1⅓ cups shredded Gouda cheese
- 2 ounces reduced-fat cream cheese, cubed
- 2 teaspoons white-wine vinegar
- Bring a large saucepan of water to a boil.
- Cook squash with pasta according to the package instructions. Drain and set aside.
- Whisk ¼ cup milk, flour, rosemary, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Set aside.
- Add the remaining 1½ cups milk to the saucepan. Heat over medium-high heat until just simmering.
- Add the flour mixture and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook, whisking constantly, until thickened, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and whisk in Gouda, cream cheese, and vinegar until the cream cheese is melted.
- Stir the pasta and squash into the sauce.