Grilled Tomato and Basil Salmon
This recipe is so beautiful and yet so simple to prepare. Start with memory promoting omega-3 rich salmon, spread it with minced garlic, sprinkle with fresh basil, then layer sliced tomatoes on top. Put it on the grill for 10 minutes and you're done!
Cook time: 10 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- Cooking spray
- 1 whole wild salmon fillet (about 1½ pounds)
- 1 cup thinly sliced fresh basil, divided
- 2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced
- ¼ teaspoon freshly ground pepper
- Preheat grill to medium.
- Mash minced garlic and ¾ teaspoon salt on a cutting board with the side of a chef's knife or a spoon until a paste forms. Transfer to a small bowl and stir in oil.
- Check the salmon for pin bones and remove if necessary. Measure out a piece of heavy-duty foil (or use a double layer of regular foil) large enough for the salmon fillet. Coat the foil with cooking spray. Place the salmon skin-side down on the foil and spread the garlic mixture all over it. Sprinkle with ½ cup basil. Overlap tomato slices on top and sprinkle with the remaining ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Transfer the salmon on the foil to the grill. Grill until the fish flakes easily, 10–12 minutes. Use two large spatulas to slide the salmon from the foil to a serving platter. Serve the salmon sprinkled with the remaining ½ cup basil.