Fresh and Creamy Asparagus Soup
It’s a classic gourmet dish to delight your family and guests, and easy to prepare. Using light coconut milk is a neat and inventive way to add flavor and make this creamy soup lower in calories.
Cook time: 35 minutes
Total time: 50 minutes
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon curry powder
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- Zest and juice of 1 lemon, divided
- 2 cups diced peeled red potatoes
- 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 cup light coconut milk
- 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and cut into ½ inch pieces
- Freshly ground pepper to taste
- ¼ cup crème fraîche or low-fat sour cream
- Melt butter and oil in a large saucepan over medium heat. Add onion and ¼ teaspoon salt and cook, stirring often, until golden, about 5 minutes. Stir in curry powder, ginger, lemon zest and potatoes and simmer, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes.
- Stir in broth, coconut milk and asparagus. Bring to a simmer over medium heat, partially cover and continue to cook until the potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- Puree the soup with an immersion blender or a regular blender until smooth. Season with the remaining ¼ teaspoon salt and pepper.
- Whisk creme fraiche (or sour cream) and lemon juice in a small bowl.
- Use a swirl of this mixture to garnish each bowl of soup.