Creamed Kale and Leeks
Make a traditional vegetable dish healthy and delicious. Nutrient-packed kale is served up with a cream sauce that’s lower in fat.
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup sliced leek, white and light green parts only
- 12 cups chopped kale (about 1 large bunch)
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1½ cups reduced-fat milk
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Add leek and cook, stirring frequently, until starting to soften, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Add kale, garlic, salt and pepper; cook, stirring often, until very soft, 10 to 20 minutes, adding water ¼ cup at a time if the greens start to stick.
- Sprinkle with flour and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Stir in milk; cook, stirring, until just starting to boil and thicken, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Serve hot.