Citrus and Napa Cabbage Salad
Take your tastebuds to the West Coast with this tart heart-healthy dish.
Total time: 20 minutes
- ½ cup canola oil
- ½ cup halved and sliced shallots
- 2 large grapefruit, preferably Ruby Red
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- 3 cups shredded Napa cabbage
- ½ cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 3 tablespoons fried garlic
- ¼ jalapeño or serrano pepper, seeded and minced
- Place a fine-mesh strainer over a heatproof bowl. Heat ½ cup canola oil in a small skillet over medium-high heat. Add ½ cup halved and sliced shallots, reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring often, until golden brown, 3–5 minutes. Pour the shallots and oil through the strainer. Transfer the shallots to a paper-towel-lined plate. Reserve the oil.
- Slice both ends off grapefruit. With a sharp knife, remove the peel and white pith; discard. Cut the grapefruit segments from their surrounding membranes, then cut into bite-size pieces, removing any seeds as you go.
- Whisk 2 tablespoons of the shallot oil, lime juice and fish sauce in a large bowl. Add cabbage, cilantro, shallots, garlic, jalapeño (or serrano) and the grapefruit. Mix well.