Black-Eyed Pea and Collard Green Soup
This is the definition of a warming winter vegetable stew – and it’s easy to prepare. The texture of black eyed peas and the addition of collard greens give this soup a memorable taste you’ll want to make throughout the winter months.
Cook time: 45 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion, diced
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 1 stalk celery, sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced
- ½ teaspoon ground thyme
- ¼ teaspoon crushed red pepper
- 4 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1 15-ounce can diced tomatoes including juice
- 5 cups chopped collard greens (about 1 bunch), tough stems removed
- 1 15-ounce can black-eyed peas, rinsed
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat.
- Add onion, carrot, and celery and cook, stirring, until just tender, 5 to 7 minutes.
- Add sliced garlic, thyme, and crushed red pepper and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 15 seconds.
- Increase heat to high and add broth, and tomatoes. Bring to a boil, scraping up any browned bits.
- Stir in collard greens, reduce to a simmer and cook, stirring occasionally, until the greens are tender, 5 to 10 minutes.
- Stir in black-eyed peas and serve.