Apple Steel-Cut Oats
A refreshing twist on wintery oatmeal: You lightly toast the steel-cut oats before adding fresh apples into the mixture. Cinnamon and brown sugar, plus the protein of Greek yogurt for serving, makes for a well-rounded and satisfying breakfast.
Cook time: 45 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
- 4 crisp apples, such as Fuji, Gala, Jazz or Pink Lady, divided
- 1 cup steel-cut oats
- 4 cups water
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon packed brown sugar
- Shred 2 apples using the large holes of a box grater, leaving the core behind.
- Heat a large saucepan over medium-high heat. Add oats and cook, stirring, until lightly toasted, about 2 minutes.
- Add water and the shredded apples; bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat to maintain a simmer and cook, stirring frequently, for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, chop the remaining 2 apples.
- After the oats have cooked for 10 minutes, stir in the chopped apples, cinnamon and salt.
- Continue cooking, stirring occasionally, until the apples are tender and the oatmeal is quite thick, 15–20 minutes more.
- Top with yogurt and brown sugar to serve.