Health management programs and procedures
- Admissions, skilled nursing and private duty nursing
- Enhanced cardiology, including echocardiology and other codes related to cardiology management
- Medical oncology program – This program promotes optimal support for our members' cancer care needs, while reducing the costs for managing one of the most complex, expensive and prevalent diseases they can encounter.
- Sleep management program – This program considers the medical necessity of studies and the clinical appropriateness of a facility- or home-based test.
- Avalon Lab Services Prior Authorization Request Form (PDF) – Please fax the completed form to Avalon's Medical Management Department at 813-751-3760. If you have any questions, please call 844-227-5769.
Diagnostic imaging utilization management, Cardiology and Sleep Study
Pharmacy and prescription drugs
- Commercial Prescription Drugs including medications to treat Hepatitis C, ADHD, weight loss, biologics for arthritis and psoriasis, and restricted access drugs
- Medicare Prescription Drugs
- Medicare Part B Step Therapy and Prior Authorization Drug List (PDF)
Non-emergency/outpatient services and procedures
- Non-emergency ambulance services
- Home health, including nursing and certain home infusions
- Prosthetics (Commercial only)
- Behavioral health (mental health or substance use disorder) treatment
- For Blue Medicare HMO/PPO: contact 800-266-6167
- Certain durable medical equipment (DME)
- Blue Medicare HMO/PPO DME and Experience Health Medicare Advantage (HMO) DME: Prior approval codes for DME are available from Customer Service, Utilization Management or your Blue Cross NC Network Management representative.
- Surgery and/or outpatient procedures, including but not limited to:
- Lung volume reduction surgery
- Morbid obesity surgery
- UPPP, surgical management of obstructive sleep apnea
- Vertebroplasty and kyphoplasty (Commercial only)
- Percutaneous treatment of HNP (Commercial only)
- Orthotripsy (Commercial only)
- Procedures potentially cosmetic, including but not limited to:
- Reconstructive surgery, including but not limited to dermabrasion
- Reconstructive surgery (Commercial only), including but not limited to rhitidectomy or scar revision
- Breast surgeries including insertion and removal of silicone breast implants, reduction mammoplasty, and gynecomastia
- Therapy of superficial veins, such as varicose veins
- Orthognathic surgery
- Otoplasty (Commercial only)
- Telangiectasias (Commercial only)
- Rhinoplasty (Commercial only)
- Investigational and Experimental Services (Medicare)
- Blue Care: Any service received at an out-of-network provider1
Notice of mastectomy benefits
As required by the Women's Health and Cancer Rights Act of 1998, your health insurance policy provides benefits for mastectomy-related services, including all stages of reconstruction and surgery to achieve symmetry between the breasts, prostheses and complications resulting from a mastectomy, including lymphedema. This coverage is subject to the same deductibles, copayments, coinsurance or limitations as applied to other medical and surgical benefits provided under the member's policy. If you have questions, please check the member benefit booklet or call the Customer Service number on the member ID card for more information.
Looking for Prior Authorization fax forms?
PDFs of most authorizations, requests and review forms are available.
Blue Care plan: Blue Cross NC may authorize a service received out-of-network at the in-network benefit level if the service is not available in-network or if there is a continuity of care issue. Blue Advantage® and Blue Options℠ plans: Blue Cross NC may authorize a service received out-of-network at the in-network benefit level if the service is not available in-network or if there is a continuity of care issue.
Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age or disability in its health programs and activities. Learn more about our non-discrimination policy and no-cost services available to you.
© 2024 Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina. ®, SM Marks of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association, an association of independent Blue Cross and Blue Shield plans. All other marks and names are property of their respective owners. Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina is an independent licensee of the Blue Cross and Blue Shield Association.