Recently, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina (Blue Cross NC) stopped paper delivery of all Explanation of Payment (EOPS) and Notification of Payment (NOPs) forms to Blue eSM users, except for Blue MedicareSM remittances, in order to streamline administrative costs. With 85 percent of Blue Cross NC-participating providers and facilities registered as Blue e users, and the majority of those providers already getting their EOP information electronically via Blue eSM, we anticipate a cost savings of approximately $1.6 million in 2015 alone.
Blue e users can easily access the Remittance Inquiry link via Blue e to view, save, or print your own remittance advice or Explanation of Payment forms. If you are not already registered for Blue e or you need to add a provider NPI to your account, please go to our Web site and select the appropriate link. Here are some of the benefits you’ll gain by getting your EOP information electronically:
- Receive immediate notification of claims payment or claims denial information.
- Search detailed EOP information by patient name, Blue Cross NC ID number, or patient account number.
- Save pdfs of the EOP files electronically for future reference.
- Retrieve EOP information for up to 365 days.
- Retrieve EOP information by check number and date.
- Save office administrative costs with elimination of manual paper processes.
The HIPAA 835 Electronic Remittance Advice (ERA) allows the NOP and/or EOP information to be distributed as an electronic file that can be automatically posted. You can request receipt of an 835 ERA by faxing or emailing a completed Electronic Connectivity Request (ECR) Form. If you have questions about electronic remittances, please contact the eSolutions HelpDesk at 1.888.333.8594 or email Bluee.HelpDesk@bcbsnc.com.