Starting July 1, 2020, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina (Blue Cross NC) will no longer require prior plan approval for the treatment of varicose veins for medically-appropriate indications.
- Prior plan approval is no longer required for endovenous procedures and sclerotherapy for the treatment of varicose veins to improve or restore bodily function.
- This applies to all commercial members, except:
- State Health Plan members
- Members of the following self-funded groups:
- US Radiology
- Benefit limits (outlined in members' handbooks) remain, as follows:
- Endovenous procedures - 1 per limb, per lifetime/while insured with Blue Cross NC
- Sclerotherapy treatments - 3 procedures per limb, per lifetime/while insured with Blue Cross NC
- Claim submissions including more than the allowed standard benefit will be denied.
- Coverage is not provided for some cosmetic services.