To ensure adequate access to members in North Carolina, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of North Carolina (Blue Cross NC) will expedite the credentialing of providers with a temporary license due to COVID-19. Blue Cross NC will make every effort to credential providers who are physicians and physician's assistants within three business days from the date Blue Cross NC receives a completed credentialing and enrollment application. This process takes effect when the North Carolina Medical Board (NCMB) begins reactivating licenses on a temporary, emergency basis pursuant to the NCMB's process and application. This process does not apply to routine requests for credentialing or enrollment.
For non-delegated credentialing, complete application packets must include all of the following:
- A current NCMB temporary license
- Completed credentialing and enrollment applications https://www.bluecrossnc.com/providers/network-participation/become-blue-cross-nc-provider-recredential
- Current malpractice face sheet with provider's name, coverage limits, and effective dates
- Please note: Amounts of coverage on a provider's policy must be a minimum of $1 million per occurrence and $3 million in aggregate, with the provider's name included as an insured on the policy.
In addition to the above criteria, please note the following:
- The above application packets must be submitted by email to Credentialing@BCBSNC.com. Use COVID-19 Provider Application as the e-mail subject line.
- Providers with issues and/or concerns reported to the National Practitioner Data Bank within the last two years will not qualify for credentialing under the expedited process.
For providers under delegated credentialing, the following apply:
- Blue Cross NC requests a daily spreadsheet indicating COVID-19 temporary license provider adds, changes and terminations.
- Delegated entities will still send a separate routine monthly reporting of adds, changes and terminations, excluding Covid-19-related provider activity.
- An e-mail submitted daily to DelegatedProvider@BCBSNC.com with COVID-19 Provider Additions in the e-mail subject line.
Any other COVID-19-related provider credentialing and enrollment requests should be submitted to ProviderUpdates@BCBSNC.com with COVID-19 Provider Question in the e-mail subject line.
Blue Cross NC reserves the right to address any issues that Blue Cross NC may not have been aware of since the provider's last credentialing review or during the verification process to ensure the safety and well-being of members.