Your family will think you took some Italian cooking lessons! This is a classic, gourmet Alfredo dish that will sure to delight with its creamy texture — and it’s easier to make than you may think. Bon appétit!
Cook time: 30 minutes
Total time: 30 minutes
- 8 ounces whole wheat linguine
- ½ cup low-fat milk
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 12 ounces medium shrimp (31-40 count), peeled and deveined
- 1½ cups low-fat milk
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1 cup grated Asiago cheese, divided
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- Cook linguine according to package directions. Drain well.
- Meanwhile, whisk ½ cup milk and flour in a small bowl until smooth. Set next to the stove.
- Melt butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and cook, stirring, until fragrant, about 30 seconds.
- Add shrimp and cook, stirring, until mostly pink on the outside, 2½–3 minutes.
- Add 1½ cups milk, salt and nutmeg to the pan. Bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally.
- Add the reserved flour-milk mixture; cook, stirring constantly, until thickened, 1½–2 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in ¾ cup Asiago and lemon juice.
- Divide the linguine among 4 bowls. Top each with ¾ cup of the shrimp sauce.
- Garnish each with 1 tablespoon of the remaining Asiago and 1 tablespoon parsley.