We'll be completing scheduled maintenance beginning Saturday at 10 p.m. continuing through Sunday afternoon. Blue Connect may be unavailable during this time.
Use the Whole Beet Salad
As the weather starts to chill a bit, this elegant use of a common vegetable is a delicious and comforting side dish. Try it now — if you love it, make it again as part of Thanksgiving.
Cook time: 40 minutes
Total time: 3 hours 15 minutes
- 1½ pounds baby beets with greens attached
- 1 whole head garlic
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt, divided
- 1 cup distilled white vinegar
- ¼ cup sugar
- ½ cup finely chopped toasted walnuts
- ¼ cup finely chopped red onion
- ¼ cup chopped fresh dill
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Rinse beets well. Cut off the greens, then cut the leaves off the stalks. Set the leaves and stalks aside. Remove excess papery skin from garlic head without separating the cloves, then cut the head in half horizontally.
- Toss the beets, garlic, 2 tablespoons oil and ½ teaspoon salt in a small baking pan. Cover with foil. Roast until tender, 1–1¼ hours. Let cool slightly.
- Whisk vinegar and sugar in a medium bowl. Squeeze the garlic cloves out of their skins into the bowl. Peel and dice the beets; add to the bowl. Let marinate at room temperature for at least 2 hours and up to 1 day.
- Finely chop the beet stalks and very thinly slice the greens; place in a large bowl. Scoop the beets from the pickling liquid with a slotted spoon and add to the bowl. Drizzle the beet mixture with ¼ cup of the pickling liquid. Add walnuts, onion, dill, the remaining 2 tablespoons oil and ¼ teaspoon salt and gently toss to combine.