Shrimp and Chicken Jambalaya
This creative slow-cooker recipe will delight you and your guests with its flavors. Prep it, set it and forget it!
Prep time: 20 minutes
Total time: 5 hours 20 minutes
- 1 pound skinless, boneless chicken breast halves or thighs
- 4 stalks celery, thinly sliced (2 cups)
- 2 large onions, chopped (2 cups)
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can low-sodium chicken broth
- ⅓ cup no-salt-added tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- ½ teaspoons salt-free Cajun seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1½ cups uncooked instant brown rice
- ¾ cup chopped assorted bell peppers
- 8 ounces fresh or frozen peeled and deveined cooked shrimp
- 2 tablespoons snipped fresh Italian (flat-leaf) parsley
- Cut chicken into 1-inch pieces. In a 3½- or 4-quart slow cooker, combine chicken, celery, onions, tomatoes, broth, tomato paste, garlic, Cajun Seasoning and salt.
- Cover and cook on low-heat setting for 4½–5½ hours or on high-heat setting for 2¼–2¾ hours.
- If using low-heat setting, turn to high-heat setting. Stir in uncooked rice and bell peppers. Cover and cook about 30 minutes more or until most of the liquid is absorbed and rice is tender.
- Before serving, thaw shrimp if frozen. Stir shrimp and parsley into chicken mixture.